- Best Quick Over the Counter Hemroid Relief Products
- Jan 3, 2011
- Category: Disease & Illness
- Classroom: Natural Hemroid Treatment And Pain Relief To Get Rid Of Hemroids
Various nonprescription medicines that can help relieve symptoms of hemorrhoids are readily available in market today. Medicines to take may vary depending on common hemorrhoid symptom (such as bleeding during bowel movements, itching and rectal pain) you’re suffering from. It is important you select proper over-the-counter products that are appropriate for the symptoms you want to treat. The best way to choose appropriate product is by determining its main active ingredient and its effect. Here are the basic ingredients.
Protectants: Protectans provide a physical barrier to protect the skin while healing and reduces irritation of the skin, itching and pain. Examples of protectants include aluminum hydroxide gel, cocoa butter, glycerin, kaolin, lanolin, mineral oil, white petrolatum, starch, zince oxide or calamine and cod liver.
Bioflavonoids: Bioflavonoids promote venous strength and treat hemorrhoid symptoms such as pain, heaviness, bleeding, pruritus and anal discharge.
Analgesics: Analgesics are used for the temporary relief of hemorrhoidal pain, itching and burning. They numb the nerve endings so that pain is no longer felt, although it is a temporary effect. Be aware that local anesthetics may cause allergic reactions that increase burning and itching. Analgesics include menthol 0.1% (greater than 1.0% is not recommended, camphor 0.1% to 3% (greater than 3% is not recommended) and juniper tar 1% to 5%
Vasoconstrictors: Vasoconstrictors are chemicals that resemble epinephrine, a natural occurring chemical. Vasoconstrictors include: Ephedrine sulfate 0.1% to 1.25%, Epinephrine 0.005% to 0.01% and Phenylephrine 0.25% (Medicone Suppository, Preparation H, Rectacaine).
Astringents: Astringents causes coagulation or clumping of proteins in the cells of the lining of the anal canal. Astringents include Calamine 5% to 25%, Zinc oxide 5% to 25% (Calmol 4, Nupercainal, Tronolane) and Witch hazel 10% to 50% (Fleet Medicated, Tucks, Witch Hazel Hemorrhoidal Pads).
Antiseptics: Antiseptics inhibit the growth of bacteria and other organisms. Examples of antiseptics include Boric acid, Hydrastis, Phenol, Benzalkonium chloride, Cetylpyridinium chloride, Benzethonium chloride and Resorcinol.
Kerotalyctic: Keratolyctics are chemicals that cause the outer layers of the skin or other tissues to disentigrate. The two approved keratolytics used are Aluminum chlorhydroxy allantoinate (alcloxa) 0.2% to 2.0% and Resorcinol 1% to 3%
Local Anesthetics: Local anesthetics temporarily relieve pain, burning and itching by numbing the nerve endings. Local anesthetics include Benzocaine 5% to 20%, (Americaine Hemorrhoidal, Lanacane Maximum Strength, Medicone), Benzyl alcohol 5% to 20%, Dibucaine 0.25% to 1.0% (Nupercainal), Dyclonine 0.5% to 1.0%, Lidocaine 2% to 5%, Pramoxine 1.0% (Fleet Pain-Relief, Procto Foam Non-steroid, Tronothane Hydrochloride) and Tetracaine 0.5% to 5.0%,
Corticosteroids: Corticosteroids reduce inflammation and can relieve itching.
Watch out for vasoconstrictors and corticosteroids because these two ingredients may cause serious damage.
You may find it astonishing in choosing the best over-the-counter hemorrhoid treatments that you can use. Knowing the active main ingredient in those products will help choose best over the counter hemorrhoid relief product suitable for you.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.
Lessons in this classroom
- Hemroid Treatment Over the Counter (OTC) and Home Remedy Cures for Hemorrhoids
- Safe and effective hemroid treatment which you can use without the doctor’s prescription.
- All Natural Hemorrhoid Treatment and Home Remedy for Hemorrhoids
- Know several natural hemorrhoid treatments that actually work!
- Fastest Way to Get Rid of Hemroids Natually at Home
- Tired and afraid of expensive and harmful side effects of synthetic medicines? Go for all natural ..
- Hemroid Surgery Costs, Risks & Complications and Recovery Time
- Suffering from severe hemorrhoid and you want to eliminate the disorder quickly? Find out the diff..
- Gout Remedies and Pain Relief
- Find list of gout remedies for gout pain relief,..
- Low Back Pain Relief
- Relief measures for low back pain.
Teachers latest lessons(249)
- Prevention is Better that Cure (Avoiding Yeast Infection)
- Learn more about and see what happens about pict..
- Juniper for Treating Yeast Infection and other Diseases
- Learn more about yeast infection home remedies a..